Monday 28 January 2008

Lotus Expeditor

In the past, I've mostly got Lotus Expeditor, but always felt that my
understanding was incomplete.

Thanks to an excellent presentation, and demonstration, delivered by a
colleague, I really do get it.

In my language, using WebSphere Portlet Factory to write once, deploy
twice makes so much sense - WPF gives me the user interface ( a JSR 168
portlet ), Expeditor gives me the mechanism to create an offline,
replicated database model.

I'll have to try it but, as far as I can establish, I can create a
portlet using WPF that pulls data from a relational database e.g. DB2
UDB via a JDBC datasource.

Rather than "hard-coding" the JDBC datasource name in code, I have my
WPF model refer to an externalised resource e.g. a property file.

When I deploy the portlet to Lotus Expeditor, I update the property file
to point at a local DB2 Everyplace or Apache Derby database ( running
within the client ) and the portlet continues to function. I then use
the Lotus Expeditor server ( -OR- DB2 Everyplace on a server ) to
sychronise the data from the back-end DB2 UDB server to the client's
datastore.

Sounds good to me - will give it a try and report back.

Stuff rocks :-)

1 comment:

Jay said...

Thanks for such a great info!

We are evaluating products for our offline application. Our customer has Oracle lite database and the online portal is running on Aqualogic portal engine(portlets are JSR168 compliant).

I want to know..is it possible to

1. Convert our porlets using lotus expeditor so that it will run offline?

2. Is it possible to use oracle lite dabatase in lotus expeditor client? Oracle lite has its own data synchronization mechanism, so we will use that for data synch.

ANy help will be greatly appreciated

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...