Wednesday 8 September 2010

/etc/hosts or DNS - sorting it out on Red Hat Enterprise Linux

During my recent battle with Domino and hostnames ( more to come soon ), I stumbled upon this rather useful little configuration file: -

/etc/nsswitch.conf

in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4.

Amongst other gems, it contains the magic line: -

hosts:      files dns

which means that hosts are looked up via /etc/hosts before heading off to the wacky world of DNS.

For the record, AIX uses an environment variable called NSORDER

export NSORDER=bind,local,nis

as per this wiki article: -

Installing and configuring IBM Lotus Domino 8.5 on AIX

Now is that useful, or what ?

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...