Saturday 14 April 2012

CentOS Linux - Reading AND Writing NTFS

I had a bit of an "Ooops" moment yesterday, when I had  an urgent need to share some virtual machines with a colleague; Active Directory 2003 and DB2 UDB /  IBM Tivoli Directory Integrator.

Having converted them from VirtualBox to VMware ( more on this in another post ), I went to write them to his USB drive ....

Ah, his drive is formatted with NTFS because he uses Windows .....

... and my USB drive is formatted with HFS+ because I use it with Linux and Mac ....

Thankfully, a quick Google search helped me add NTFS support to CentOS: -

RPMforge for CentOS 6.0

$ wget http://packages.sw.be/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.i686.rpm
rpm --import http://apt.sw.be/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
$ rpm -K rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.*.rpm
$ rpm -i rpmforge-release-0.5.2-2.el6.rf.*.rpm
$ yum -y install ntfs-3g

I've used NTFS-3G and MacFUSE on the OSX Lion box, but this is the first time I've tried it with CentOS.

Nice one :-)

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...