Friday 11 January 2013

IBM Business Process Manager 8.0.1 Advanced - Where's my Business Process Choreographer ? Where's my Service Component Architecture ?

For the past few days, I have been working my way through a scripted deployment of IBM Business Process Manager 8.0.1 Advanced, using a set of scripts developed by my colleagues here in IBM Software Services for WebSphere (ISSW).

These scripts allow us to create a repeatable and self-documenting process to build environments such as IBM Business Process Manager and IBM Operational Decision Manager, helping reduce the time to a successful delivery, and increasing the quality and supportability of the solution.

Having got to the end of the installation, during the functional testing, I was wondering why I couldn't access the Business Process Choreographer page at: -


I also noticed that I wasn't able to create a BPM Advanced Deployment Environment. This is the only option presented to me: -


After some investigation, with the kind assistance ( as ever) of Bob, I discovered the reason why.

The ISSW scripts use Bash, Jython and, most importantly, response files to perform their magic.

During the node profile creation phase, I'd selected to use a response file that points at the WRONG template ( Gromit ).

This is what I have: -

templatePath=/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/BPM/managed.procsvr

which is fine for a BPM Standard build, but absolutely no use for a BPM Advanced installation.

The profile templates available to me, as held in: -

/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/BPM

are: -

drwxr-xr-x  5 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 default.procctr
drwxr-xr-x  3 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 default.procctr.adv
drwxr-xr-x  5 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 default.procsvr
drwxr-xr-x  3 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:01 default.procsvr.adv
drwxr-xr-x  5 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 dmgr.procctr
drwxr-xr-x  3 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 dmgr.procctr.adv
drwxr-xr-x  5 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 dmgr.procsvr
drwxr-xr-x  3 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:01 dmgr.procsvr.adv
drwxr-xr-x  5 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 managed.procctr
drwxr-xr-x  3 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 managed.procctr.adv
drwxr-xr-x  5 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 managed.procsvr
drwxr-xr-x  3 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:01 managed.procsvr.adv
drwxr-xr-x  2 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 procctr
drwxr-xr-x  2 wasadmin wasadmins 4096 Jan  7 15:02 procsvr


As you can see, I used the managed.procsvr template rather than the managed.procctr.adv template.

This is confirmed by looking at: -

/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/properties/profileRegistry.xml

within which I have: -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><profiles>
    <profile isAReservationTicket="false" isDefault="true" name="PCDMNODE" path="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/PCDMProfile" template="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/management">
        <augmentor template="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/BusinessSpace/dmgr.bspace"/>
        <augmentor template="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/BPM/base/profileTemplates/dmgr.bpm"/>
        <augmentor template="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/BPM/dmgr.procctr"/>
    </profile>
    <profile isAReservationTicket="false" isDefault="false" name="PCN1Profile" path="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/PCN1Profile" template="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/managed">
        <augmentor template="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/BusinessSpace/managed.bspace"/>
        <augmentor template="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/BPM/base/profileTemplates/managed.bpm"/>
        <augmentor template="/opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profileTemplates/BPM/managed.procsvr"/>
    </profile>
</profiles>


which explains why I don't have SCA or BPC.

Simple when you know how :-)

The solution - fix the response file before I build the profile :-)


No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...