Tuesday 20 January 2015

 Mac OS X - Missing my wget command

I was trying to download IBM Installation Manager 1.8.1 onto my Mac Mini, which I use in "headless" mode, mostly via ssh

This is for my software library, as I'm about to create an IBM BPM 8.5.5 environment, utilising the Stray Node Topology Pattern, to provide resilience across two data centres, without breaking the laws of WAS.

Whilst I can bring up a remote desktop, using Finder and Screen Sharing, I like having the option to only use the command-line, and avoid the dreaded GUI.

I had logged into IBM Fix Central, in order to download IIM, on my host Mac, and had grabbed the URL for the IIM code: -


and wanted to run the download from the Mini, using wget: -


but this just returned: -

-bash: wget: command not found

A quick Google later, and I found this: -


which said, in part: -

...
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite comes with the command line utility called 'curl' which is a network transfer tool, it does not come with the popular 'wget', in fact 'curl' can probably get you by just fine, check man curl at the command line to see its usage.
...

and then provides an example of how to use curl: -


so I tried that: -


and received: -

  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  157M  100  157M    0     0   482k      0  0:05:35  0:05:35 --:--:--   213


and, a while later, this: -

-rw-r--r--   1 hayd  staff  165597876 20 Jan 20:49 agent.installer.linux.gtk.x86_64_1.8.1000.20141126_2002.zip

which is shiny.

So, the moral of the story is ... if you need wget, you can probably make do with curl.

Shiny.

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...