Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Mac OS X - Want to know what file-type something is ?

I found a file in a folder: -

ls -al a

-rw-r--r--@ 1 hayd  staff  414720 20 Aug 18:41 a

No idea what it is, I tried renaming it to .PDF, .DOC, .TXT etc. but neither Finder, TextEdit, vi nor OpenOffice would open it.

Then I remembered ....

Mac OS X is just like Unix, in fact it IS Unix.

And we have the file command: -

file a

a: CDF V2 Document, Little Endian, Os: Windows, Version 6.1, Code page: 1252, Author: Bob Slobb, Template: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio11\1033\FOOBAR.VST, Name of Creating Application: Microsoft Visio

at which point, all becomes clear. It's a Visio drawing, which I can open in OmniGraffle.

A swift rename later: -

mv a a.vsd

and we're up and running.

Remember, folks, file is your friend

Tuesday, 21 October 2014

IBM Notes, where do your temp files go to, my lovely

I think I've blogged this before, and will check later.

* UPDATE 21-10-2014 *

And here they are: -

 More on Lotus Notes and temporary directories

 Lotus Notes 8.5.3 on Apple Mac OSX - Where do your temp files go to, my lovely ?

* UPDATE 21-10-2014 *
Meantime, for the record, here is where IBM Notes locates its temporary files: -


How did I find this ?

or: -

As can be seen, Working Directory has most of the location, which can then be further investigated using Finder: -

or Terminal: -



ls -al IIB\ DB2\ Sample.rtf

-rw-r--r--@ 1 hayd  staff  1888 19 Sep 14:59 IIB DB2 Sample.rtf

Interim Fixes for 9.0.1.x IBM Notes, IBM Domino & IBM iNotes

Interim Fixes for 9.0.1.x IBM Notes, IBM Domino & IBM iNotes

This technote contains download information and SPR Fix Lists for Interim Fixes for 9.0.1.x versions of IBM Notes, IBM Domino, and IBM iNotes. Note that Interim Fixes are cumulative and contain all of the fixes from previous versions.

IBM Business Process Manager Interactive Installation and Configuration Guide

One of my IBM colleagues led me to discover this, when he asked for guidance on installing IBM BPM Standard 8.5.5 onto an existing installation of WebSphere Application Server (WAS): -

IBM Business Process Manager Interactive Installation and Configuration Guide

This guide takes you through the steps for installing and configuring IBM Business Process Manager (IBM BPM).

If you are migrating business data and applications from a previous version, use the Interactive Migration Guide instead of this guide. The Interactive Migration Guide generates instructions for a complete migration, including installing and configuring the product.

The Interactive Installation and Configuration Guide works best in supported versions of Firefox on Windows 7. To report problems with using this guide, use the feedback link. In most instances, the generated output is restricted to supported installation scenarios. However, it might be possible to generate an unsupported set of instructions. For information about supported installation scenarios, go to the IBM Support Portal or use the installation roadmaps.

The Interactive Installation and Configuration Guide uses installation and configuration rules and considerations that are described in other topics in this information center. Each of those topics is accessible to screen readers, but the Interactive Installation and Configuration Guide itself is not fully accessible. For fully accessible information, use the installation topics in the information center as an alternative to using the Interactive Installation and Configuration Guide

Monday, 20 October 2014

IBM Security Bulletins - Padding Oracle On Downgraded Legacy Encryption (POODLE)

Saw these and thought of ... well, everyone: -

SSLv3 contains a vulnerability that has been referred to as the Padding Oracle On Downgraded Legacy Encryption (POODLE) attack. SSLv3 is enabled by default in IBM WebSphere Application Server.

SSLv3 contains a vulnerability that has been referred to as the Padding Oracle On Downgraded Legacy Encryption (POODLE) attack. SSLv3 is enabled by default in the Apache based IBM HTTP Server.

IBM Tivoli Access Manager WebSEAL overview

IBM(R)Tivoli(R)Access Manager for e-business (Tivoli Access Manager) is a robust and secure centralized policy management solution for e-business and distributed applications. IBM Tivoli Access Manager WebSEAL is a high performance, multi-threaded Web server that applies fine-grained security policy to the Tivoli Access Manager protected Web object space. WebSEAL can provide single sign-on solutions and incorporate back-end Web application server resources into its security policy.

This overview chapter introduces you to the main capabilities of the WebSEAL server.

Topic Index:

• Introducing IBM Tivoli Access Manager and WebSEAL
• Understanding the Tivoli Access Manager security model
• Protecting the Web space with WebSEAL
• Planning and implementing the security policy
• Understanding WebSEAL authentication
• Understanding WebSEAL junctions

Sunday, 19 October 2014

Interesting glitch with IBM Tivoli Access Manager 6.1.1 when creating Policy

This is what I was running: -

/opt/PolicyDirector/sbin/mgrsslcfg -config -f no

and this is what I was seeing: -

Aborted (core dumped)

which, I think you will agree, is less than helpful.

This is what I had installed: -

rpm -qa | grep -i 6.1.1


Note that the PDRTE component was back-level.

I thought I'd patched things up.

Once I applied the fix: -

rpm -Uvh /tmp/fixes/PDRTE-PD-6.1.1-8.i386.rpm

things started working better: -

/opt/PolicyDirector/sbin/mgrsslcfg -config -f no

Creating the SSL certificate.  This might take several minutes.
The SSL configuration of the Tivoli Access Manager policy server
has completed successfully.

The policy server's signed SSL certificate is base-64 encoded and
saved in text file "/var/PolicyDirector/keytab/pdcacert.b64."

This file is required by the configuration program on each machine
in your secure domain.

which is nice.