Thursday 9 May 2019

Postman on macOS - Where are my Windows ?

Having used Postman for the past few months, mainly to poke REST APIs, I hit an interesting issue last night, whereby the main Postman window refused to appear even though I'd left it open when I suspended my Mac ( closed the lid ) before leaving the office.

Now, for clarity, at work I use an external Lenovo monitor, attached via USB-C / HDMI ( using the Apple dongle ), which is positioned to the right of the MacBook Pro itself.

When I got home, I plugged in a different AOC monitor, again via USB-C / HDMI ( using a different non-Apple dongle ), again with the MBR on the left of the monitor ( "On your left" ).

Despite stopping/starting Postman multiple times, and fiddling around with the various options available on the View and Window menus, I couldn't get the main window to appear ....

Thankfully, the internet brought me to this ....

Postman opens off screen(s) when display monitors are changed #2833

which said, in part: -

...
For the moment, if you guys see this, you can reset the app's window settings manually. To do this, you'll need to delete the requester.json file from the app's data directory, this is located:

on macOS: ~/Library/Application\ Support/Postman
on Windows: C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Postman
on Linux: ~/.config/Postman
...

and: -

...
In fact, you also need to delete the window file in the same directory.
...

Having quit Postman, I dived into Terminal ( because, Terminal ) and did this: -

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Postman/storage/requester.json 
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Postman/window 

and started Postman again .... c'est voila, here's a Postman window :-)

For the record, I'm using Postman 7.0.9, which is interesting 'cos that post is circa 2017 ....

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...