Friday 23 September 2022

Installing pylint on Linux - there's more than one way ...

 I'm running some Travis builds of a project which includes Python modules, and wanted to manually run the pylint linting tool across my GitHub repo, to compare/contrast what Travis was telling me.

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS so just went ahead and installed via the Aptitude package manager: -

apt-get update && apt-get install -y pylint

which seemed fine.

Then I noticed that the results differed - when I checked Travis, I was using pylint 2.15.2 whereas, on Ubuntu, I was way behind the curve: -

pylint --version

pylint 2.4.4
astroid 2.3.3
Python 3.8.10 (default, Jun 22 2022, 20:18:18)
[GCC 9.4.0]

My mistake ? Using Aptitude ...

I uninstalled pylint 

apt-get remove -y pylint

and installed it using the Package Installer (for) Python, aka pip

I did notice that the installation location was different: -

- apt-get install ->>> /usr/bin/pylint

- pip  ->>> /usr/local/bin/pylint

so had to restart my shell to pick up the new version: -

pylint --version

pylint 2.15.3
astroid 2.12.10
Python 3.8.10 (default, Jun 22 2022, 20:18:18)
[GCC 9.4.0]

which is better ( part of my planned change will be to have the Travis job use 2.15.3 as well )

Right, onwards for some linting .....


No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...