Monday 6 February 2023

Fun and games with Docker login on macOS

I've been around the houses with Docker Desktop, Podman and Docker via Homebrew on my Mac over the past few months

I saw something curious this morning, whilst trying to log into IBM Container Registry 

ic cr login

Logging 'docker' in to 'uk.icr.io'...

FAILED

Failed to 'docker login' to 'uk.icr.io' with error: Error saving credentials: error storing credentials - err: docker-credential-desktop resolves to executable in current directory (./docker-credential-desktop), out: ``

I then tried the same auth process using docker login 

docker login --username iamapikey uk.icr.io

but with the same effect: -

Password:

Error saving credentials: error storing credentials - err: docker-credential-desktop resolves to executable in current directory (./docker-credential-desktop), out: ``

In case I was missing something, I even tried the Docker Creds Helper: -

brew install docker-credential-helper

but to no avail.

Finally, in desperation, I nuked my Docker credentials file - which is a TERRIBLE thing imho 

rm ~/.docker/config.json

and tried again: -

docker login --username iamapikey uk.icr.io

Password:

Login Succeeded

Even better, now that I'd installed the creds helper - which caches the creds in the macOS Keychain, the config.json is somewhat cleaner: -

cat ~/.docker/config.json

{

"auths": {

"uk.icr.io": {}

},

"credsStore": "osxkeychain"

}

Better still, the IBM Cloud CLI is also happy: -

ic cr login

Logging 'docker' in to 'uk.icr.io'...

Logged in to 'uk.icr.io'.


OK


No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...