Wednesday, 17 March 2021

Not in Kansas anymore - apparently I don't exist

Whilst trying to upgrade the Tekton CLI tool tkn using Homebrew: -

brew upgrade tektoncd/tools/tektoncd-cli

==> Upgrading 1 outdated package:

tektoncd/tools/tektoncd-cli 0.8.0 -> 0.15.0

==> Upgrading tektoncd/tools/tektoncd-cli 0.8.0 -> 0.15.0 

==> Downloading https://github.com/tektoncd/cli/releases/download/v0.15.0/tkn_0.15.0_Darwin_x86_64.tar.gz

==> Downloading from https://github-releases.githubusercontent.com/181939372/9d001b00-4060-11eb-9efa-57717f8e92f7?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJY

######################################################################## 100.0%

Error: An exception occurred within a child process:

  ArgumentError: user david_hay@uk.ibm.com doesn't exist

To narrow things down, I ran: -

brew upgrade

but that failed with much the same: -

==> Upgrading tektoncd/tools/tektoncd-cli 0.8.0 -> 0.15.0 
==> Downloading https://github.com/tektoncd/cli/releases/download/v0.15.0/tkn_0.15.0_Darwin_x86_64.tar.gz
Already downloaded: /Users/hayd/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/d911addd12ba79ea06e5d8d0002a0523ec0b53d6aa5407a94f6e9836f3ff6fa5--tkn_0.15.0_Darwin_x86_64.tar.gz
Error: An exception occurred within a child process:
  ArgumentError: user david_hay@uk.ibm.com doesn't exist

Following this: -


I checked my environment: -

printenv | grep david_hay@uk.ibm.com


which returned: -

USER=david_hay@uk.ibm.com

Given that my macOS user is actually hayd, I suspect that this is the issue.

I reset that environment variable: -

export USER=hayd

and tried again: -

brew upgrade tektoncd/tools/tektoncd-cli

Updating Homebrew...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 1 tap (homebrew/core).
==> Updated Formulae
Updated 1 formula.

==> Upgrading 1 outdated package:
tektoncd/tools/tektoncd-cli 0.8.0 -> 0.15.0
==> Upgrading tektoncd/tools/tektoncd-cli 0.8.0 -> 0.15.0 
==> Downloading https://github.com/tektoncd/cli/releases/download/v0.15.0/tkn_0.15.0_Darwin_x86_64.tar.gz
Already downloaded: /Users/hayd/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/d911addd12ba79ea06e5d8d0002a0523ec0b53d6aa5407a94f6e9836f3ff6fa5--tkn_0.15.0_Darwin_x86_64.tar.gz
==> Caveats
Bash completion has been installed to:
  /usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d
==> Summary
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/tektoncd-cli/0.15.0: 8 files, 43.7MB, built in 7 seconds
Removing: /usr/local/Cellar/tektoncd-cli/0.8.0... (8 files, 32.4MB)

Job done!

For the record, tkn was back-level: -

tkn version

Client version: 0.8.0
Pipeline version: unknown

and is now up-to-date: -

tkn version

Client version: 0.15.0
Pipeline version: v0.22.0
Triggers version: v0.12.1

( which, usefully, also reports the versions of Tekton Pipelines and Triggers deployed to my cluster )




No comments:

Yay, VMware Fusion and macOS Big Sur - no longer "NAT good friends" - forgive the double negative and the terrible pun ...

After macOS 11 Big Sur was released in 2020, VMware updated their Fusion product to v12 and, sadly, managed to break Network Address Trans...