Monday 27 September 2021

Hello World, what is your version ?

Whilst having a discussion with a colleague about running Eclipse on macOS Big Sur 11.6 with Java 8, I wanted to check whether the latest Eclipse 2021-09 would work with Java 8 ( aka Java 1.8.0_251 ).

So I "wrote" a Hello World to check: -

hello.java

public class hello {

    public static void main(String[] args) {
        // Prints "Hello, World" to the terminal window.
        System.out.println("Hello, World");
        String version = System.getProperty("java.version").toString();
        System.out.println("JVM version is " + version);
    }
}

I ran this in Eclipse: -







having also confirmed that I could run it locally: -

java -cp ~/eclipse-workspace/HelloWorld/bin/ hello

Hello, World
JVM version is 1.8.0_251

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...