Thursday 31 July 2014

IBM Notes - Finding my temporary files

So one of my colleagues sent me an Excel spreadsheet as an attachment - once I'd finished dressing him down about (a) using MS Office and (b) sending email attachments, I double-clicked on the .XLS file, opened it up in OpenOffice, and then edited it - and then saved it ( note, I said Save, not Save As ).

You know what's coming ?

Yes, I'd saved the file to some random location on my hard-disk, and couldn't find it to send it back to my colleague - via Connections Files, of course.

Thankfully, I did not re-open the file, so I didn't overwrite my changes .....

But where is the spreadsheet ???

I opened up a command prompt ( Terminal on the Mac ), and went a-huntin'

$ cd /
find / -name jam*.xls 

...
find: /private/var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd.peruser.97: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/locationd: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/Spotlight: Permission denied
find: /private/var/db/sudo: Permission denied
/private/var/folders/8t/s52kgwtj4l16sp3nf0tl7f9c0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/notes/jamsurvey.xls
find: /private/var/folders/8t/s52kgwtj4l16sp3nf0tl7f9c0000gn/T/vmware-root: Permission denied
find: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/0/com.apple.revisiond.temp: Permission denied
find: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/C: Permission denied
find: /private/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/Cleanup At Startup: Permission denied

...

This allowed me to "rescue" the file: -

$ cd Desktop/
cp /private/var/folders/8t/s52kgwtj4l16sp3nf0tl7f9c0000gn/T/TemporaryItems/notes/jamsurvey.xls .

Sorted :-)

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...