Tuesday 15 May 2018

macOS and VMware Fusion and Windows 7 and DHCP - The internet fixed my problem

I was seeing "Unidentified network" on a Windows 7 VM, using VMware Fusion Professional Version 10.1.1 on my Mac, following an unexpected b0rk of said Mac.

Long story short, this meant NO internet connectivity from the VM, regardless of whether I chose NAT or Bridged.

I tried / failed to recover this via various approaches, including shutting down / restarting the VM, but to no avail.

Just before I threw the Mac out of the window ( pardon the pun ), I found this: -


Got the same problem and this worked for me https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1026510

In terminal I ran:

sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --configure
sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop
sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start


This is the aforementioned VMware article: -


Run the following commands in sequence to update the changes without restarting Fusion 4.x and later. These can be used if you do not want to relaunch Fusion(if you have other Virtual Machines running).

sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --configure
sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --stop
sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --start

MUST MUST MUST REMEMBER THIS!

2 comments:

Sean Cull said...

Hello Dave, one of my team uses Fusion on a Mac but finds that the fan works quite hard and performance is sometimes not great ( using Notes Designer ). Do you have any general tips for using Fusion on the Mac to get best performance ? Thanks, Sean

Dave Hay said...

Hey Sean

Thanks for the comments.

Interestingly, I've been using Fusion on macOS for years now, probably since I got my first MacBook Pro in 2009.

I do get fan noise from time to time, and the Mac feels like it's about to lift off the desk - if Apple made Harrier Jumpjets .....

However, I rarely notice a major issue with performance, and I typically run VMs with ~8 GB RAM, albeit with a single CPU core ( a colleague recommends 2-4 cores and 8-12 GB RAM ).

I've not done anything specific to boost VMware performance; switching to the SSD MacBook Pro ( that with Retina display ) in 2012 made a huge difference, and I'm now using a 2015 MBPr.

Other than RAM and CPU, I'm using things pretty much oob.

It's also worth noting that it's not just VMware that makes the Mac run hot - Chrome, Firefox, Lotus Notes (!) and Slack all contribute - from time to time, I shut down the stuff that I'm not using at that very moment ....

Right now, I've got Notes, Slack, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Docker, VMware ( with a Windows 7 VM ), SoapUI, Terminal, Atom, Tweetbot, Mail, Notes ( the  version ), iMessage and Photos - and it's all as smooth as silk ..... :-)

Final thought; I'm running the latest macOS and VMware builds / updates.

Not sure if this is of any use whatsoever :-(

Cheers, Dave

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...