Thursday 18 September 2008

Synchronising my Nokia 6021 with Lotus Notes 8.5 beta 2

Well, as I posted previously, I'm back to my trusty old Nokia 6021, having (sadly) given up on the BlackBerry 7130v - nice PDA, not-so-nice mobile telephone.

I really need to have my Notes contacts and calendar available to me on my phone, as I'm on the road a lot, and cannot always afford the time to power up the Thinkpad.

Therefore, I re-visited the Nokia PC Suite again - this time I downloaded v7.0.8.2: -



and installed it on my Windows XP partition ( note to self; find Linux alternative )

Having hooked it up to my phone and to my Notes mail file ( local replica ) and address book, I dived in for a sync.

Hmmmm, the first issue that I saw was that it wouldn't sync with my mailfile whilst Notes was open: -



showing the message: -

"This database is currently in use by another person or process, and cannot be accessed at this time"

Now I recognise that as a Lotus Notes error, but am 100% sure that I've done this before. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The simplest solution was "merely" to shut down Notes, and carry on.

However, things didn't proceed nicely; I then started seeing "PC Sync has encountered a problem and has terminated the synchronisation" as it read through my Notes calendar. I proved this by successfully synchronising my contacts in isolation.

I faffed around for a while ( even returned to a previous solution I'd used before by deleting C:\Documents and Settings\hayd\Application Data\Nokia\PCSync\SynchData ) but to no avail.

In the end, I found the solution/circumvention - syncronise the calendar and contacts separately; it seems that PCSync "chokes" with too much data if you try and do both at the same time.

Hey, it's not elegant but c'est la vie ....

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...