For a IBM Business Monitor V8.0 system the cube publish may be changed to use Dynamic Query Mode which utilizes a JDBC connection and does not require a native database client on the IBM Cognos BI server system. The IBM Cognos BI server will need to have JVM argument set.
Follow these instructions to turn on Dynamic Query mode during publishing:
1. In the Administration Console select Servers
2. Expand Server Type and select WebSphere application servers
3. Click on the name of your server
4. Expand Java™ and Process Management and select Process Definition.
5. Under the Additional Properties section, click Java Virtual Machine.
6. Scroll down and locate the textbox for Generic JVM arguments.
7. add "-Dinit.dqm.enabled=true"
My IBM colleague, RichardR, has pointed out that BAM 188.8.131.52 no longer requires the -Dinit.dqm.enabled=true setting. Thus far, my testing ( one time on a VM using Oracle ) appears to confirm that. I'll continue to test ...