Friday 19 December 2008

Ubuntu 8.10 ( Intrepid Ibex ) and Suspend/Resume on the Thinkpad T60p ( 2007-AE7 )

Having had this working ever since I upgraded to Intrepid in early November, I somehow managed to break it on Wednesday whilst trying to get a strange projector combination working. I uninstalled/reinstalled the video drivers a thousand times ( ish ) but couldn't manage to (a) get video working on the internal LCD *and* via an external device and (b) suspend/resume Ubuntu.

However, I think I've cracked it - I went back in time in my blog and found this post from September, where I'd fickered with /etc/default/acpi-support and changed: -

POST_VIDEO=true
# RADEON_LIGHT=true
# DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true
ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=false

to: -

POST_VIDEO=false
RADEON_LIGHT=true
DOUBLE_CONSOLE_SWITCH=true
ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=true

If it helps, I'm using the fglrx 8.54.3 driver which I got via apt-get install fglrx* - as far as I know, this is not a proprietary driver BUT I MAY BE WRONG.

If it helps, this is how I can see what driver I'm using: -

lsmod | grep -i fglrx

returns: -

fglrx                1813960  32
agpgart                42184  2 fglrx,intel_agp

dmesg | grep -i fglrx

[   42.639040] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.54.3 [Oct 10 2008] with 1 minors

lspci -vv

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5200]
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device 2007
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 1: I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
        Region 2: Memory at ee100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at ee120000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
        Kernel modules: fglrx

sudo dpkg --list | grep -i fglrx

ii  fglrx-amdcccle                            2:8.543-0ubuntu4                            Catalyst Control Center for the ATI graphics a
ii  fglrx-kernel-source                       2:8.543-0ubuntu4                            Kernel module source for the ATI graphics acce
ii  fglrx-modaliases                          2:8.543-0ubuntu4                            Identifiers supported by the ATI graphics driv
ii  xorg-driver-fglrx                         2:8.543-0ubuntu4                            Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators
ii  xorg-driver-fglrx-dev                     2:8.543-0ubuntu4                            Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators

fglrxinfo -display :0

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200
OpenGL version string: 2.1.8087 FireGL Release

Having got fglrx installed and having hacked acpi-support, I can now suspend and resume.

I can also switch to a single or dual display ( using my Sharp Aquos 26" LCD display ) using the  ATI Catalyst Control Centre ( command is amdccle ) to switch between screens.

I'll test a real projector later today ....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It would be great if you migrated your experience over to www.thinkwiki.org.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_instructions_for_the_ThinkPad_T60p

Dave Hay said...

Hi Dan, good point, and I've done just that here - http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_instructions_for_the_ThinkPad_T60p#Ubuntu_.2F_Kubuntu

Unknown said...

fglrx IS proprietary...

Unknown said...

Thanks Dave,
works with my ati radeon hd 4850 as well.

I had to make laptop_mode true even if it's not a laptop :-)

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...