Sunday 3 October 2010

Skype on Linux - Hiding off-line contacts

Having been a great fan of Skype for many many years, it's always annoyed me that, on the Linux platform, I couldn't see an obvious way to hide contacts that are off-line - on Mac and Windows, this is an easy option, yet on the Linux platform it's always been something I couldn't achieve.

Having spent a half hour or so online this morning, I finally found this undocumented "hack" and it's embarrassingly simple - press the keys [Ctrl] and [U] to  hide those contacts who are off-line; pressing [Ctrl] + [U] again "unhides" the contacts again.

So, in short, use [Ctrl] + [U] to hide and "unhide" the contact list.

Easy when you know how :-)

13 comments:

Quacos said...

Wow, thanks, that was so annoying, sometimes some contacts appears as offline and go online only when you chat to them (like the Ping.FM bot), worked like a charm.

BlaXpirit said...

Thanks; useful tip.

Jan Groth said...

thanks a lot...

Prasad said...

Thanks.. It was useful.

njpugh90 said...

Thank you!!!! This has annoyed me so much! Would have expected it on the context menu or something!

Koen said...

That was easy, thanks!

Unknown said...

thank you! lost about forty minutes trying to find that option in Skype settings((

Dave Hay said...

Glad to see that this old post is still of use to folks :-)

Umar said...

Thanks

Dave Hay said...

@Umar - no worries, glad to help

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!! Was so annoying for me to see my long contacts list offline.

Fernando said...

Thanks a lot! This is really useful!

Nikolay Korotkiy said...

Thanks a lot!

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...