Friday 30 October 2015

IBM Business Process Manager - What Goes In What Databases ?

My client asked me this, so I thought I'd share it here.

Context

In the world of IBM BPM Advanced 8.5, with DB2, we have three (five) distinct databases.

Most typically, we have the Process Server database ( often known as the BPM Database, BPMDB ), the Shared Database ( often known as the Common Database, CMNDB ) and the Performance Database ( often known as the Performance Data Warehouse Database, PDWDB ).

Optionally, we can have two more databases; the Messaging Engine Database ( MEDB ) and the Business Process Choreographer Database ( BPCDB ).




Most of the time, I use the three DB topology pattern, which is more-or-less the default. This separation allows me to put different databases in different places, perhaps on different disks ( LUNs ), user IDs ( instances ), different servers etc.

For the record, I'm a DB2 guy by trade, so I realise that, in the world of Oracle, we have a single database ( Oracle itself ) and multiple schemas.

But the principle remains much the same ...

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...