Tuesday 25 May 2010

VMware Server 2.0.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx ... The adventure continues ...

Having managed to successfully install VMware Server 2.0.2 onto my shiny new Thinkpad W500, I was able to create a new VMware image ( Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 ), but then hit the next roadblock / millstone.

VMware Server has a rather neat, browser-plugin-based- remote console that allows the guest VM's console to appear within the browser.

The bad news is that this appears not to work with Firefox 3.6.3. Guess which version I have on my shiny new Ubuntu 10.04 installation ? That's right, you've guess it.

Thankfully, this ( amongst many other forum posts ): -


details how to work around by manually executing the Remote Console plugin outside of the browser.

In my case, all I needed to do was: -

(a) Extract the 64-bit Linux plugin to my user's home directory

cd ~
unzip /usr/lib/vmware/webAccess/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.16/webapps/ui/plugin/vmware-vmrc-linux-x64.xpi

(b) Execute the Remote Console: -

~/plugins/vmware-vmrc -h 127.0.0.1:8333

(c) Authenticate as my VMware user

(d) Choose the running VM whose console I need to access

Easy as pie :-)

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...