Sunday 12 October 2014

A blast from the past - suspend and resume in Ubuntu Linux

It has been a rather long while since I last blogged about the fun involved in getting Ubuntu Linux to successfully suspend and, more importantly, resume on an IBM Thinkpad.

Lookng back it was just soooo 2011: -

Ubuntu 10.10 on Lenovo Thinkpad W500 - Problems with Suspend

and 2010: -


and then 2009: -


I inherited a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 when one of my colleagues left IBM, and it's been sitting in a cupboard for a few months now.

However, I pulled it out of the cupboard a few weeks back and installed Linux onto it ( first OpenSuSE 13.1 and then, on Friday, Ubuntu 14.04 ).

However, I did find that the laptop would fail to resume after a suspend ( typically initiated by my closing the lid ).

I dug into it a bit yesterday, and found the following: -

Xorg crashed with SIGABRT

which gave me a few pointers.

I dug around online, and found a suggestion to switch video drivers ( I have a nVidia GT216GLM ( aka Quadro FX 880M ) card in the W510 ).

This is what I had: -


and this is to what I moved: -


Having made the change, suspend and resume are, at least for now, working perfectly, which is nice ;-)

Even better, I'm running a Windows Server 2008 VM under VMware Workstation 10.1, which also recovers nicely after the resume.

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...