Saturday 4 October 2014

Synology NAS - Ever wonder why you cannot write to a USB external drive ?

So I was seeing this: -

cd /volumeUSB1/usbshare
touch foo

touch: foo: Permission denied

when I tried to write a file to an EXT2-formatted USB drive on my Synology DS414 NAS as a non-root user.

However, I was able to write a file as the root user.

Well, it's quite simple actually: -


Yes, the USB drive appears as this: -

/dev/sdr1 on /volumeUSB1/usbshare type ext3 (0)

and my admin user did NOT have Read/Write access to that drive.

It was actually this article that led me to the solution: -


so I will explore the SSH keys option :-)

No comments:

Visual Studio Code - Wow 🙀

Why did I not know that I can merely hit [cmd] [p]  to bring up a search box allowing me to search my project e.g. a repo cloned from GitHub...